This is so weird…
For years I’ve written a daily devotional, working my way through the Bible. I’ve actually completed the O.T. and have now gone back to the beginning, editing and updating and adding devotionals.
Anyway, for a long time I had a “regular” website on a server. I post the individual devotionals to my http://nazareneblogs.org/pastorscott/ account, but as I complete devotionals on books of the Bible I publish them as a whole to my website. I track traffic to both “versions” of the devotionals and the nazareneblogs one get’s more hits than do the “book version” one at www.pastorscott.com.
A few months ago I decided to just move my personal site (including the devotionals) to Google Sites. The site is easy to set up and maintain and it looks good.
However, my traffic from Google searches dropped to almost zero! At first I thought it had to do with DNS, etc. so I waited a few weeks to see if traffic would come back up. It never did.
Finally, I went back to a regular website. It took about 3 days for me to start seeing traffic again, but after less than a month I was again getting hits to the site like I did before.
It seems strange that Google takes web sites it is hosting less seriously than those it doesn’t host, but that seems to be the case.