Cruising to Alaska on Rhapsody of the Seas – August 19, 2009 – at sea

Our Wednesday was spent at sea and the rocking and rolling continued.  However it was only mildly objectionable.  Again, my objection was that the itinerary showed us being in the inside passage for this part of the cruise.  When I booked the cruise one of the negatives for this particular cruise was that it went out to sea as it traveled north in the first days of the trip.  I decided I’d risk the possible sea sickness to get north as quickly as possible and then enjoy the inside passage the rest of the trip.  Instead, in addition to the journey north, it seemed we were out of sight of land at every opportunity.  Thankfully, Jackie and I weren’t suffering from sea sickness.  Still, though, the constant motion was somewhat disorienting and, instead of watching the beautiful green mountains and occasional wildlife, we had the rolling sea with whitecaps in all directions.

This was an interesting stage of the cruise, as people had pretty much figured out what is what on the ship.  Rather than exploring the ship, one could pick an area and go straight to it.   For instance, I settled on the 11th deck with its large, ceiling to floor slanted windows as my favorite hangout.  Sitting here I could see a great distance.   The ocean view highlight of the day for me was seeing two dolphin crest in perfect unity right next to the ship.
onboard rhapsody - 8-19-2009 1-56-11 PM.JPG Jackie went to a couple of demonstrations: one on cake decorating and the other on towel folding.  I read and, in the afternoon took a nap.  I decided that I have a strange reaction to the Bonine motion sickness pills.  Prior to the trip I took one just to be sure I wouldn’t have some unexpected reaction.  Around twenty hours after I took it, I became quite drowsy.  Then on the cruise that same thing happened every time I took a Bonine.  Weird, right?

Since this was an at sea day and since the morning had lots of sunshine we joined about half the ship in walking laps around the deck.  We walked a mile in the morning and then, as fog rolled in and it began to cool we walked another mile in the afternoon.  Then the fog got so thick that one couldn’t see from one end of the ship to the other and from the upper decks the water wasn’t even visible.  That lasted a couple of hours.  By the time the fog lifted the seas had calmed and we finished the day with yet another mile around the deck.

Response code is 404

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *